King Street - essential rail infrastructure maintenance
December 8 to 10, 2018
From Saturday, December 8 to Monday, December 10, TTC track crews will conduct several essential rail and concrete repairs on King Street near Massey Street, Tecumseth Street, Spadina Avenue and Peter Street. All work activities will be contained within the track area and will include minor breaking and removal of concrete to expose the rail, replacing existing rail with new rail, and placement of new concrete.
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the work zones for the duration of the work.
- On-street parking will be restricted through the area to create safe work zones for the crew.
- The location and length of the work zones may prohibit left turns.
- The lane restrictions and work zones will be cleared by Monday morning around 5 a.m. after the newly placed concrete has cured adequately for road traffic.
Work hours and timeline
- Rail work of this nature is required around-the-clock to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete. While the majority of the excavation will be done between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., overnight activity will occur.
- On Saturday, December 8 at 3 a.m. the track crew will begin setting up the work zones. At 8 a.m., localized excavation and concrete chipping will begin in order to expose the rail to be replaced. Work will continue into the next morning.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail, which will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete will be placed in the track areas and set to cure on Sunday. The newly placed concrete requires curing time before the work zones are removed for the resumption of full road use on Monday.
TTC service - 504 King Route
Thank you for your patience during these essential rail and concrete repairs.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 416-981-1601; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service