Line 1 Yonge Subway Extension - preliminary studies
Starting as early as March 4, 2019
The planned Line 1 Yonge Subway Extension is a cross-jurisdictional project from the City of Toronto into the City of Markham, City of Vaughan and the Town of Richmond Hill. With the preliminary planning, design and engineering phase underway, crews will begin geotechnical testing in Toronto along Yonge Street and some side streets from Finch Avenue to Steeles Avenue.For more information on this project, visit the project page.
What we are doing and why?
- Preliminary geotechnical work started in early March. Crews are using a drill rig to bore holes and extract samples. Each borehole location takes approximately three to four weeks to complete.
- At the end of each work day crews will restore the roadway.
- Due to the nature of this work, at times, there will be construction-related noise from equipment. This preliminary work is typical for subway planning, and does not create significant noise.
Testing will occur on Yonge Street at the following locations:
- north of Abitibi Avenue (southbound curb lane) - starting as early as March 4
- south of Cummer Avenue (centre lane) - starting as early as March 4 and continuing in April
- south of Connaught Avenue (southbound curb lane) - starting as early as March 4
- north of Hendon Avenue/Bishop Avenue (centre lane) - starting March 26
- south of Madawaska Avenue (northbound curb lane) - starting as early as April 10
- north of Otonabee Avenue (northbound curb lane) - starting as early as April 22
Traffic will be maintained through the work zones. Depending on the location, work will either take place in the curb lane or the centre lane – some temporary turning restrictions may apply. Access to driveways will be maintained.
Work will generally take place during the daytime between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. This includes time to set up and remove the work area in addition to drilling/sampling.
- Abitibi, Cummer, Connaught - Issued February 26, 2019 (.pdf)
- Hendon/Bishop - Issued March 22, 2019 (.pdf)
- Madawaska, Otonabee, Drewry/Cummer - Issued April 5, 2019 (.pdf)
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 416-981-1601, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service